Thursday, December 13, 2012

Make Your Music Happen


Things have been moving along with the band. Music is being written and we’re getting to know each other. We are still looking for a couple more musicians to join up with us, but that will happen when the time is right. Sacrificing quality to have a warm body fill the spot, is not something we’re interested in. The only real issue that we seem to have at the moment, is finding the time for everyone to contribute. I am self-employed as a musician and I create my own hours. I am swamped right now with various concerts, but I carve out time to dedicate to writing/practicing for this band. It is important to me. The other band members don’t have this same luxury. Their jobs/families keep them very busy. This is completely understandable and frustrating at the same time. While I respect their lives and what they must do, I also know that time is ticking away. There is this part of me that sacrifices constantly for the sake of my music. It is part of who I am. Are my sacrifices any less or any more than what anyone else would have to give up if they carved out time for the band? I don’t think it is fair to judge. I will always do what I have to do to achieve my music dreams. I never place my personal expectations on anyone else. I simply sit back and see if the pieces to the puzzle will fit. Time tells all. I have chosen this life for myself. No one is forcing me to sacrifice for this career. I could choose to blow off writing/practicing so that I can hang with friends more often or because I’d like to sleep a bit more. My priorities won’t let me. I know that with each moment that passes, someone, somewhere is practicing, writing, and achieving their dreams. I want that too, so I continue to press on. I will not settle for less and I will not let my sacrifices be in vain.

Breaking free from society’s view of a “normal” life, to make my music happen, has been one of the most freeing experiences ever. I understand how terrifying it is to step out of your comfort zone and declare yourself to be a self-employed musician. You never know where your next paycheck will come from unless you actively seek out music gigs. The thing is, the jobs are out there. To be honest, I’m swamped! The problem is that many musicians develop an attitude where they feel they are above certain paying gigs. For instance, I am a symphonic metal vocalist…but I also play the piano for local high school chorus concerts, music theatre events, recitals, orchestra concerts, churches, and special events. I help instruct a local high school marching band. I teach private voice and piano lessons. I play the trumpet, flute, or violin with various chamber ensembles. I record the vocals for various songwriters. I compose music for various groups. I am working in music and supporting myself. Do I love every paid music opportunity that comes my way? No. There are times when I’d like to pull my hair out. In fact, there was a time when I was so ungrateful for my music opportunities, that I actually stopped all of it to work a “normal” job. I was the most miserable person on the planet. This was a very good thing, because I realized:

 #1 It is ALWAYS my choice as to how I make money and if I am miserable, only I have the power to change that…IF I am brave enough to step out of my comfort zone and do something about it, instead of just complaining. The problem is, people make you feel like you are being risky or irresponsible by choosing a career that isn’t like everyone else’s. They threaten you with supporting your family and saving for retirement. People think that if you are told you will receive a paycheck every Friday and you receive health benefits, you are set. News flash…let’s wake up! This economy is making every job a risk. Teachers and health care providers are losing their jobs. Health benefits cost entirely too much (U.S.). The cost of living is increasing. There isn’t a safe option, so instead of living a miserable existence with blinders on and assuming that your job is safe, why not pursue a career that you will love? When you love your work, you will be a “go-getter” and you’ll go after the opportunities and do a fantastic job. Mediocre craftsmanship and poor customer service skills are getting old. If people actually loved their work, I’m willing to bet that these issues would disappear. I think that if everyone would stop holding back each other’s dreams with their own fears and insecurities, we’d all be successful and thriving. I also think that we’d all treat each other more kindly.

#2 If I’m going to succeed in music, I must tailor my money-making careers and relationships to suit the time requirements of a musician. This is reality. We have 24 hours in a day. If you don’t put in the time now, you will not have anything to show later. Quit kidding yourself with thoughts of “I’ll do it tomorrow…or someday I will have time.” If you don’t get serious now, you will never do it. There is never a “better time” to achieve your dreams. If you can’t motivate yourself to get off the couch and practice or pull yourself away from the TV to write a few bars, then you probably shouldn’t be a musician. Backbone makes a true musician…not wishbone. You will end up wishing your entire life away if you don’t make time for your dreams now. You need to figure out how much time you need to dedicate to your craft each day. Obviously, if you want to be a professional musician, you must spend more time than if you want to be an amateur. Then, you MUST stick with this. The thing that just fries me, is that people must think that the magic music fairy comes and taps me on the head and I can magically perform with ease. When I say that I can’t go out for drinks because I have practice…I seriously mean it. It is my work. It is my dream. Respect it. It is important. If I don’t practice, I become mediocre and I won’t get the gigs. If you can’t make yourself sacrifice time for practicing, don’t plan on being a professional. Your money-making career needs to be something that allows you to have enough time to achieve your goals. When I decided to work a “normal” job, I was working incredibly long hours that left me unable to dedicate enough time for music. This not only effected my progress, but exhausted me emotionally. I became a cranky person like the majority of the people out there that have settled on careers that they don’t enjoy. I did my “normal” job up to standards, but I had absolutely no drive to be an overachiever at the “normal” job. It bothered me that I knew I could be doing an even better job at the “normal” job, but lacked the desire to go beyond what was required. I knew that many of the other employees felt the same and they also had dreams of other careers. I wondered how the world would be if employers hired the people that were actually excited to do certain jobs and if we all pursued the careers that interested us. I looked forward to going home each day and stressed about returning to the “normal” job the next day. It was a dreadful way to exist. My music skills began to deteriorate and I couldn’t seem to gain any ground in music. I was spinning my wheels. Finally, I woke up…got some courage…got a business plan…and jumped completely into music.

#3 Be grateful! So, I learned to be very grateful for all of my music jobs. I genuinely enjoy working in music. I learn so much and continue to refine my skills as a musician…which helps me get closer to achieving my dream. Yes, there are quite a few frustrations. I despise working with egotistical conductors and mean people. I get highly irritated when students don’t practice and constantly cancel their lessons. I don’t enjoy being on a football field with a marching band that is bickering & has lost their drive to work because it is cold and rainy. I’m not exactly thrilled when people give me a last minute gig with incredibly difficult music to learn...that no person in their right mind would ever accept (I swear I must be insane sometimes haha!). However, I am truly grateful that people value my skills enough to seek me out. I am grateful for the paycheck, I am grateful for the wonderful musicians I have worked with, I am grateful that I have been able to help other musicians achieve their music goals, but even more than that…I am grateful that my money-making jobs allow me the time to pursue my music dream of having an incredible symphonic metal band. When people hire me, they are not only receiving a high quality performance, but they are helping me to achieve my goals in music. I’m not sure that they even consider that, but I know that I am forever grateful for their support, and I will never take that for granted.

Dreams are important. Money is important. One is not less or more than the other…unless YOU decide that for your life. Balance is the key. Sacrifice is necessary. Attitude is everything. Quit wishing and start achieving.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!


No comments:

Post a Comment