Saturday, March 9, 2013

Waking Myth Update #1

Things have been going incredibly well since I auditioned and took the gig with Waking Myth. I can't stress enough about how important it is to have the right members. This band has struggled in the past because they just couldn't find the right combination for them...much like my various band situations. Patience is the key, but it's difficult since we all long to be out there actually "doing" our craft at that very moment. It is easy to settle on members that don't share the same work ethic, style, and goals. This can be a problem that haunts a band for quite some time. Let's face it...we get used to hearing how a certain band sounds or seeing certain members. We make judgements about a band and it's difficult to push past the negative aspects, even after the band has changed members. I am discovering that to be the case with Waking Myth. The band has had a variety of female singers and other musicians. The drama/sounds of the past, still follow this band. I am a completely different singer than any of the previous singers. I like to have my own sound and not be a copycat. I enjoy singing to the best of my ability and I have no desire to sound like anyone else. So, now I play the waiting game to see what the response will be for a band that has had a different sound since 2009. So far, I've received positive feedback, but this is from new fans that haven't heard the old Waking Myth. I know that local bands have a very "set" opinion of Waking Myth and I hope that they realize that all bands evolve as long as they are continuing to work hard. There seems to be a certain level of "snottiness" when it comes to the attitudes of bands in this area. I am new to the band scene here...and very few bands have bothered to reach out in support of the recent member changes of Waking Myth. This makes me think that the scene here is very cold...or that the egos/drama levels run high. I honestly don't have time for that behavior. It is unprofessional and a complete waste of time. Maybe it is just a "small town" mentality or just how they do things here...but in the larger cities, it has been my experience that the bands support each other and they're all willing to help you if they can. I'm used to that, and I miss it. I guess that you can't have everything, but I'm certainly grateful to have such an awesome group of musicians to work with! Waking Myth has made a huge jump in their level of playing and professionalism. I wouldn't have bothered to be a part of this group if I hadn't seen/heard it for myself. The founding members have made a serious attempt to scoop up musicians that share the same work ethic and goals. Everyone in this group has been working to improve their skills individually. This has helped to raise the level of the band. I'm very excited for us to finish the album & start performing in a little over 2 months. I think people will be very surprised by the new sound of this group! More updates to follow!!! -Keri  \m/


No comments:

Post a Comment