Thursday, November 17, 2011

Practice #1


The first of three trial practices has occurred with my potential band. For those of you that are not aware of or need refreshed on my band audition methods, I initially checked on credentials, listened to individual auditions, and then pieced a band together from the musicians that best fit my requirements. We are committed to three trial practices to see if we can work well together, grasp the right style and enjoy the process. As of now, no one has a guaranteed spot in the band and after three practices, everyone is free to leave without further obligation. I have chosen to audition the group in this manner, so I might weed out individuals with a poor work ethic, bad attitude, lack of dedication, and opposing musical views. I also want to make sure that I am working with individuals that honestly want to perform my originals and understand the style I am going for. So far, this audition method is working nicely.

Leading up to the first trial practice, emotions were running high! Each musician was given one cover song that demonstrates specific techniques on their instrument, and one original. I was impressed with their attentiveness to details and their desire to "get it right." I received numerous text messages, phone calls and emails regarding the music. Discussions on instrumentation, voicing and structure were taking place daily. The urge to actually jam became overwhelming and some of us were getting a little stir crazy! It is frustrating to play on your own all of the time, when you love the sound of a band and know that the music will sound amazing as a group.

The first trial practice went better than I had anticipated! I had fairly high expectations and was concerned that maybe I had set them too high. I was not disappointed at all! I actually had to stop singing at one point because the band sounded so good, that I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. During the original song, after the framework was laid, I stepped back and allowed them to be creative with their own ideas. I stood there and observed this talented group of musicians as they worked together to create EXACTLY the sound I had been looking for! Then, they even discovered sounds that I had never imagined for certain sections of the music. I am still stunned by all of this! I had to stop singing yet again, because I was laughing in disbelief at how ridiculously good it sounded. Add numerous jabs and smart ass remarks to the intense session, and you get a clear picture of our first practice.

1 comment: