Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Auditions, Standards and a Trip on the Ego


The process of finding my next band, has been moving along. I am definitely more cautious this time around. I'm trying to stay optimistic about the process, but it is difficult when you receive email after email from people that just want to brag about their abilities. It is disappointing when their sound clips don't live up to their claims. Nevertheless, I have been in touch with some wonderful musicians and this gives me hope that I'm not searching for something that doesn't exist.

I have been very upfront with everyone that has been auditioning. I've explained everything from music, to practice expectations, to touring, to health, to appearance and so on. I'm laying it all out there. I'm to the point that I am not worried about offending anyone. I know what I'm looking for and if people think that I'm being elitist, demanding, or out of line due to my requests, so be it. I'm not a diva. I'm just very aware of what needs to happen to have an excellent band. I feel like it would be almost easy to have an incredible band if I could line up dedicated, talented musicians that take pride in playing well and also want to achieve the highest level of performing. 

Mediocre mentality has become a wide spread disease. I can't understand why people are willing to settle for something that is moderately good, when it could be great. Why do people insist on dragging their feet through the process? Why do people stop working when they've reached the bare minimum? I find it enjoyable to practice because I know it brings me one step closer to performing something that is challenging. It makes me feel good to stretch my abilities. I've sat in on rehearsals for various bands and I am shocked at how much time they waste drinking and such. Their practice sessions are more about partying. I'm not trying to present a "holier than thou" attitude towards this, but these same bands claim to be serious...but their level of playing together says something entirely different. They may very well be great musicians, but since they spend their practices in party mode...they do not play well as a band. They don't listen to each other and only hear what their instrument is doing. Bands that actually play well together, seem to be a dying breed. Whatever happened to bands that sound great in the studio and equally good live? I totally respect the musicians that choose to jam just for the fun of it. It is a great activity/hobby to have! However, those of us that truly make performing our career, dislike it when so called "serious" bands hire us and waste our time.

I think that you can find incredible musicians that are proficient on their instrument, but lack the professional mentality to work in a group. Some people are just meant to play solo. I was talking to a drummer recently, that claims to be "the best drummer in the tri-state area" and "has the set and skills to prove it." I think that the only reason he isn't working with a band, is due to his lack of ability to work well with others. He is abrasive and more concerned with himself than a group. It is important to be confident in your abilities as a musician, but the ego trip will only get you solo gigs. I don't think that any musician has the right to be cocky about their skills. Music is such a personal thing. Every musician has something to offer, a special sound quality, a certain way of leaning on a note...subtle nuances that add up to a unique, one of a kind performer. Each musician has strengths and weaknesses...no matter how long you have performed. Once you feel that you have nothing left to learn, it is over. You can even learn from people that don't play your instrument. I have learned so much about singing from violinists and cellists. I've learned a lot about rhythm from listening to great, tight bands. There is so much to know! People with  over-inflated egos are blind to this, jealous of other musicians, and therefore, incapable of improving their own skills. Eventually, they get left behind in the dust. Being a solo drummer is a tough gig.

So, off I go to continue my search for the ideal drummer for this new chapter in my rock band adventures. I am cautiously optimistic that the people I have lined up, will be THE group that will be able to accomplish some amazing things. I'm holding my breath though. I have taken every step to make sure that I end up with the right people, but life happens. I have doubts due to my past experiences. However, I will refuse to hold back and destroy my own creativity. Bitterness is a very dangerous thing. I plan to jump into this experience and give my best. If it doesn't work out...I'll remind myself of what I've learned, drink another round of Starbucks, and move onto the next chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment